Why Business Architecture?
- Response to Disruption and need for Innovation
- Foundation for Business Agility
Business Architecture and Related Disciplines
- Related Frameworks: Zachman, TOGAF and BIZBOK
- Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Process Renewal Group Business Architecture Landscape
Workshop: What is your Architecture readiness?
Value Chain Identification and Architecture Scoping
- All value chains or one Line of Business?
- Cross company Value Chains?
Workshop: What Value Chains do you have and what’s in scope for Business Architecture?
- Business Ecosystem (Market) Analysis: Opportunities and Threats
- External Stakeholder Context Model
- Customer Value proposition: Needs, Experience, Mesures and Objectives
- Business Motivation Model: Ends and Means
- The Business Model Canvas
Workshop: Who are your stakeholders and what is value for them?
Framing the Strategy for Business Architecture Consumption
- Consolidating your ‘North Star’ Goals and Objectives
- Deriving Critical Resource Strategies
- Establishing Strategic Capability Requirements
- Choosing your Architecture scenario and plan of attack
Workshop: What are the Critical Requirements for the Architecture?
Business Concept Model: The Basis for Information, Capability and Process Architecture Models
- Concept Model
- Business Vocabulary
- Deriving the Information Model
Workshop: What is your Concept Model?
- What is a Business Capability?
- BIZBOK view
- Capability Modeling
- Assuring Unique non-redundant Capabilities
- The Burlton Capability Hexagon
Workshop: What are your Business Capabilities?
Business Process Architecture: Value Streams and an End-to-End view
- The Skeleton Process Architecture
- Stakeholder Journeys, Asset Cycles and Value Streams
- Consolidating Journeys, Cycles and Streams into a value focussed Process Architecture
- Using Business Process Frameworks
- Examples of real Architectures
Workshop: What are your Value Streams and the End-to-End Processes?
Alignment to Decisions, Policies and Rules
- Defining the Decision Structure
- Associating Business Rules with Decisions and Business Processes
- The Decision Questions Hierarchy
Workshop: What are your critical Decisions and Business Rules?
Business Performance Models
- Characteristics of Good Performance Indicators
- Lagging and Leading Indicators
- Measurement Traceability to Strategic Objectives
- Measuring Operating Processes
Workshop: What is your Performance Scorecard?
Alignment of Business Architecture with IT Enablement
- Services, Microservices and APIs
- BPMS (process engines)
- BRMS (rules engines)
- Business Activity Monitoring and Analytics (measurement)
Alignment with Human Capabilities and Enablement
- Motivation, Behavior and Culture
- Structural and Cultural Maturity
Prioritization of Change
- Using Ideal Value and Performance Data to Evaluate Performance Gaps
- Pain- Gain Analysis for assessment of capabilities and processes
- Priorities: Grids and Heat Maps
- The Burlton Capability Framework for Resource Planning
- Defining the Portfolio of Business Change
Workshop: What are your Business Process and Capability Priorities?
Leveraging the Architecture into a Business Change Portfolio
- Using the Business Architecture Models in Business Change
- Cross Mapping Capabilities and Processes: Impact Analysis
- Defining the Portfolio of Process and Capability Changes
- Scoping a Change Project
- Determining Resource Requirements
- Building a Roadmap
Workshop: Which Processes are supported by which Capabilities and what is the scope of your projects.
Sustaining the Architecture through Governance
- Governance Maturity Checklist
- Architecture Sustainment – CoE Support
Special Features of this Class
- Consistent with BIZBOK principles
- This is a pragmatic class with workshops – not a theory based one
- Be able to convince senior management of the value and reduce internal resistance to change
- Learn a method that scales for both small and large organizations
- Work with Roger Burlton; the most experienced pragmatist in this field
This course, Business Architecture: Enabling Business Agility and Change, is a course endorsed by the IIBA and registered under BPTrends Associates, an IIBA Endorsed Educational Provider. The course is aligned with the BABOK v2.0. By attending this course you will earn 24 PDs (Professional Development hours) or 24 CDUs (Continuing Development Units).