Why Business Architecture?
- Response to Disruption and need for Innovation
- Foundation for Business Agility
Business Architecture and Related Disciplines
- Related Frameworks: Zachman, TOGAF and BIZBOK
- Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Process Renewal Group Business Architecture Landscape
Workshop: What is your Architecture readiness?
Value Chain Identification and Architecture Scoping
- All value chains or one Line of Business?
- Cross company Value Chains?
Workshop: What Value Chains do you have and what’s in scope for Business Architecture?
- Business Ecosystem (Market) Analysis: Opportunities and Threats
- External Stakeholder Context Model
- Customer Value proposition: Needs, Experience, Mesures and Objectives
- Business Motivation Model: Ends and Means
- The Business Model Canvas
Workshop: Who are your stakeholders and what is value for them?
Framing the Strategy for Business Architecture Consumption
- Consolidating your ‘North Star’ Goals and Objectives
- Deriving Critical Resource Strategies
- Establishing Strategic Capability Requirements
- Choosing your Architecture scenario and plan of attack
Workshop: What are the Critical Requirements for the Architecture?
Business Concept Model: The Basis for Information, Capability and Process Architecture Models
- Concept Model
- Business Vocabulary
- Deriving the Information Model
Workshop: What is your Concept Model?
- What is a Business Capability?
- BIZBOK view
- Capability Modeling
- Assuring Unique non-redundant Capabilities
- The Burlton Capability Hexagon
Workshop: What are your Business Capabilities?
Business Process Architecture: Value Streams and an End-to-End view
- The Skeleton Process Architecture
- Stakeholder Journeys, Asset Cycles and Value Streams
- Consolidating Journeys, Cycles and Streams into a value focussed Process Architecture
- Using Business Process Frameworks
- Examples of real Architectures
Workshop: What are your Value Streams and the End-to-End Processes?
Alignment to Decisions, Policies and Rules
- Defining the Decision Structure
- Associating Business Rules with Decisions and Business Processes
- The Decision Questions Hierarchy
Workshop: What are your critical Decisions and Business Rules?
Business Performance Models
- Characteristics of Good Performance Indicators
- Lagging and Leading Indicators
- Measurement Traceability to Strategic Objectives
- Measuring Operating Processes
Workshop: What is your Performance Scorecard?
Alignment of Business Architecture with IT Enablement
- Services, Microservices and APIs
- BPMS (process engines)
- BRMS (rules engines)
- Business Activity Monitoring and Analytics (measurement)
Alignment with Human Capabilities and Enablement
- Motivation, Behavior and Culture
- Structural and Cultural Maturity
Prioritization of Change
- Using Ideal Value and Performance Data to Evaluate Performance Gaps
- Pain- Gain Analysis for assessment of capabilities and processes
- Priorities: Grids and Heat Maps
- The Burlton Capability Framework for Resource Planning
- Defining the Portfolio of Business Change
Workshop: What are your Business Process and Capability Priorities?
Leveraging the Architecture into a Business Change Portfolio
- Using the Business Architecture Models in Business Change
- Cross Mapping Capabilities and Processes: Impact Analysis
- Defining the Portfolio of Process and Capability Changes
- Scoping a Change Project
- Determining Resource Requirements
- Building a Roadmap
Workshop: Which Processes are supported by which Capabilities and what is the scope of your projects.
Sustaining the Architecture through Governance
- Governance Maturity Checklist
- Architecture Sustainment – CoE Support
Special Features of this Class
- Consistent with BIZBOK principles
- This is a pragmatic class with workshops – not a theory based one
- Be able to convince senior management of the value and reduce internal resistance to change
- Learn a method that scales for both small and large organizations
- Work with Roger Burlton; the most experienced pragmatist in this field