Why Business Architecture?
• Response to Disruption and Innovation
• Requirement for Business Agility
Business Architecture and Related Disciplines
• Business Model canvas
• Enterprise Architecture (EA)
• Business Process Management (BPM)
• Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
• Business Architecture Frameworks
◦ BPTrends Associates
Business Architecture Methodology
• Process Renewal Group Business Design method
• Business Architecture Meta Model and Artifacts
• Business Architecture Maturity
Workshop: What is your Architectural maturity?
Value Chain Identification and Architecture Scoping
• Whole company vs internal group scope?
• All value chains or one?
• Cross company Value chains
• Internal shared services
• The Value Chain’s Value Proposition?
Workshop: What Value Chains do you have and what is your Value Proposition?
External Environment Assessment
• External Pressures, opportunities and Threats
• Business Scenario Models
Workshop: What are the External Pressures on your business?
External Stakeholder Analysis
• Stakeholder Classification
• Stakeholder Context Diagram and Health Assessment
• Stakeholder Needs, Expectations, Outcomes and Experiences
• Measuring Stakeholder Relationships: Goals, KPIs and Objectives
• Consolidating your North Star Outcomes
Workshop: Who are your stakeholders and what must we be able to deliver for them?
Business Strategy Development
• Business Motivation Model: Ends and Means
• Strategy Maps
• Business Model Canvas
• Business Architecture Landscape
Workshop: What are the Strategies for the Value Chain?
Business Semantics: The Basis for Information Models
• Business Vocabulary
• Concept and Information Model
• Glossary of Terms
Workshop: What is your Concept Model and Rules?
Business Process Architecture
• Stakeholder and Asset Process cycles
• Consolidating cycles into an externally focussed Process Architecture
• Business Process Frameworks
• Finalizing the Process Architecture
• Examples of Architectures
• Modeling Standards (IGOE, BPMN, CMMN)
Workshop: What are the Process cycles for your Value Chain and what are the End-to-end Processes of your business?
Business Performance Models
• Characteristics of Good Performance Indicators
• Lagging and Leading Indicators
• Balanced Process Scorecards
• Measurement Traceability
• Associating Processes and Measures
• Organization Structure and Accountability
Workshop: What is your Performance Scorecard?
• What is a Capability?
• Capability Modeling
• Business Processes and Capability Connection
• Finding Reusable Capabilities and Shared Services
• The Burlton Capability Hexagon
Workshop: What are your Business Capabilities?
Alignment to Decisions, Knowledge, Policies and Rules
• Decision Management
• Policies and Business Rules
• The Operational Decision Questions Hierarchy
• Decision Management and Notation (DMN)
• Re Designing Decision Processes
Workshop: What are your critical Decisions and Business Rules?
Alignment of Business Architecture with IT Architecture and Enablement
• Information Models
• Business Activity Monitoring
Workshop: How do your IT Capabilities support your Processes?
Alignment with Human Capabilities and Enablement
• Work Guidelines
• Motivation, Behavior and Culture
• Structural and Cultural Maturity
Workshop: What is your Cultural Maturity Level?
• The North Star (operational goals and objectives) to Establish Ideal Value
• Using Performance Data to Evaluate Performance Gaps
• Pain- Gain Analysis for Prioritization
• Priorities: Grids and Heat Maps
• Defining the Portfolio of Change
Workshop: What are your Change Priorities?
Leveraging the Architecture into a Business Change Portfolio
• Using the Business Architecture Models in Business Change
• Scoping a Change Project
Workshop: Scoping a Project
Sustaining the Architecture through Governance
• Governance Maturity & Framework Options
• Illustrations of what others have done
• Architecture Sustainment – CoE Support
• A Maturity Based Rollout Strategy
• Lessons Learned